Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, November 12, 2012

Lettuce Play

Fortunately I got in my trip to the farmers' market before I crashed. Actually, I had crashed twice before that which was the problem. On Wednesday, I fell splat on the street and the very next day, missed the last step of the stairs and banged up what I missed the first fall. I felt fine Friday but 11 a.m. Saturday was another story. My body only knew one word,"Ouch!" Weekend plans changed to revolve around Epsom salts.

Having to keep things simple, I looked at my veggies for amusement and inspiration. I was struck by how absolutely gorgeous the greens I bought were and the broccoli, too. I mean beautiful! Then, I thought what a fabulous centerpiece they would make for Thanksgiving or any party. Green, simply gorgeous as is and completely edible. No waste! Here, take a peek...





While squashes and pumpkins are fall centerpiece naturals, you could have tons of fun playing with all the fresh lettuces and greens available now. Go to the market with your creative and hungry eye, toss in a little candlelight and let me know if you come up with some pretty, leafy arrangements! Thanksgiving is next week...can't believe it!

For dinner, I kept things simple, fast and comforting and made a veggie-ful pasta one night. My neighbor would have thrown in kale which I had by the bagsful but alas, all my kale was either in a vase or in the blender awaiting its destiny as a green smoothie. Some things are a given, right?!



Market Fresh Pasta

Pasta of choice
1 cup creme fraiche
2 cloves fresh garlic
2-3 fresh carrots (I love a mix of colors here and throw in purple carrots whenever I can get them)
2 medium zephyr squashes or zucchinis
Fresh oregano

In a small, heavy saucepan, bring creme fraiche and garlic to a boil, add sea salt and fresh pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer until ready to use.

Using a mandolin, slice zucchini and carrots into ribbons and then cut by hand, into thin strips. Bring pasta water to boil and blanch veggie strips for a minute or two. Remove veggies from water and keep warm. Add pasta to cooking water. Cook until al dente.

Drain pasta well, toss with veggies and drizzle with garlic-creme fraiche sauce. Garnish with fresh oregano. Have extra sea salt and fresh pepper available.

To all the men, women and their families who have served in our military so we can enjoy a daily feast of freedoms, thank you...today and every day. Oxox to my own brave veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment