Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, October 15, 2012

Blista Sista

Now home, I find I have not totally kept up my several-miles-a-day walks. They are not the habit here they had become in New York. I miss my harbor walks. Yesterday I got the bright idea to redeem myself and walk to a cooking class...a good, nearly two and a half miles round trip. It was a gorgeous day and so, why not? I completely disregarded the fact that my shoes I could walk 1000 miles in and have, were still at the shoe repair shop. But, I thought, what the heck, a shoe's a shoe, right?

Five blisters later I am well aware the answer to that query is "No!" Ouch... my dogs are barking.

By the time I hobbled home, it was dinner time and I had to blister up something to eat. Fast. I made some yummy things over the weekend but dinner was still an open thought. I bet some of you feel like that, too...you get home late and tired and thoughts of cooking dinner, well, just rub you the wrong way.

Blista Sista to the rescue.

Instead of reaching for leftovers, I used the calm and common sense wisdom from the cooking class,"If you have some onions, celery, carrots and potatoes, you have dinner." (The cooking classes I go to often are the free technique classes at Williams Sonoma. I love them...they are fun and I always learn so much. My mom got me hooked on them!)

Well, I had leeks, celery and potatoes and along with some fresh salad fixings, considered that good enough. Here is what I made...




It is a leek and potato soup and I served it with an arugula, pear, pistachio and avocado salad. The soup I left basic...no garnish; just get it done. There are lots of leftovers to which I am going to add cream and chives and serve cold like a vichyssoise and then, add a few herbs and cheese and serve hot. Thirty minutes and dinner was on!

Chef Paul's "You've Got Dinner" Soup

2 large russet potatoes, diced
3 leeks, sliced (white part)
2 stalks of celery, small slices
Unsalted butter
4 cups veggie broth

Melt butter in a large soup pot and add celery, leeks and potatoes (I didn't peel them). Sauté for a few minutes until veggies start to soften. Add broth or water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook about 15 more minutes 'til potatoes are done. Blend soup in blender (Be careful! Hot stuff! If you have an immersion blender, use it.) Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Makes over 1 quart.

Part of the method in my madness was to have a healthy and fast dinner so I could then make a beeline to this...



This beautiful, totally delicious, tangy-sweet lemon tart came from Mylo Coffee Company at my local farmers' market. You can bet I will "beat feet", blistered or not, to them next weekend! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment