Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, May 11, 2012

Someone else can take the cake...

I'll have the PIE!

I love pie. Really love it. Good pie that is. So much so that on a family vacation years ago, when we arrived at our hotel, right there in the lobby, I spotted a revolving case full of the most gorgeous pies I had ever seen and I thought..oh my, I am in paradise!

As well as eating them, I also loved making them. When we were in Mexico, I even had a small pie business featuring 4 or 5 of my family favorites. It was lots of delicious fun.

Imagine my delight last weekend at our local farmers' market, Hillcrest Farmers Market, when I locked eyes on this...


a vintage-y looking pie cart loaded with all kinds of pies...whole pies, pie slices, mini pies, little pies baked in cute little Mason jars. Drool! 


Fresh Strawberry Heaven!


Mini Pies, Cute-as-a-Button Jar Pies...pies, pies, pies, oh my!

Then, I learned all these beautiful pies were made with family recipes, local ingredients and baked in energy-saving, recycle-perfect glass pie plates and jars. (You can turn down your oven 25 degrees when baking in glass!) These are the very eco-friendly, super delicious pies I dream of serving right here on Our Green Table. Every bite fits all Our Golden-Green Rules (on sidebar)! More drool!


Fresh local strawberries piled sky high over a white chocolate glazed crust...a slice of cloud nine!

Pie Wizardess Leah sells her Pie in the Sky pies at several local spots and also has a great website, www.pieintheskylr.com where you can check out her whole sky full of pies and where her luscious cart will be heading. I will be getting my pie fix following her to the Quapaw Quarter Home Tour on Sunday. Maybe I will see you there...just don't try to cut in front of me in line!


Just in case you are eager to whip up a little of your own heavenly magic, here is a recipe from Leah! Have a great weekend! xox

Brownie Nutella Mini Pies

Brownie mixture:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs (get yours from a local source!)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick or 1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 squares unsweentend baker's chocolate
1/4 tsp. instant coffee (not regular coffee grounds!)
1/4 cup flour
small jar of nutella
1 cup whole almonds - toasted and coarsely chopped

Melt the chopped chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Add salt and instant coffee. When melted, let cool away from heat while mixing sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Add chocolate mixture to bowl and mix very well. Finally, add flour and mix just until blended.
For the mini pies, use a homemade or store-bought refrigerated pie crust, and cut into 4-inch rounds. Line 12 ungreased muffin tins with the rounds allowing a small edge to hang over each muffin cup. Fill each crust-lined muffin tin 2/3 full with brownie mixture and bake 350 for 30-35 minutes or until muffin edges are slightly browned and brownie center are puffed. Let cool completely on wire racks.

When brownie pies are cool, the centers will sink to form a small indention. If this doesn't happen to all the brownie pies, you can create a small indention or hole with your finger or the end of a wooden spoon. Fill the indention on each pie with 1 Tbsp of Nutella. Top with chopped almonds. Enjoy! Will keep in airtight container for 1 week.



No comments:

Post a Comment