Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, April 23, 2012

Potluck-y Beans

Here is a new beauty in my kitchen...two actually. I cook a lot of beans and have wanted a great bean pot for some time. I lucked into this one at local kitchen shop. Then, I stumbled upon this fabulous spoon at the farmers' market. Perfect pairing! I was so excited to finally cook beans in an honest-to-goodness clay bean pot. And yes, I made sure the pot was certified lead-free.


If that dish doesn't run away with that spoon, I am going to!

Next, all I needed were some fabulous heirloom beans. Luckily, I have lovely stash of them!


Here is how to get them looking like this...simply yummy! And, you don't need much luck at all. Only this simple recipe and any big pot or Dutch oven will do just fine.

Potluck-y Beans

Wash one pound of beans thoroughly, pick out any rocks (!), and place in a deep glass bowl with fresh filtered water to cover beans by about 2 inches. Let soak about 4-6 hours.


Meanwhile, make a melange of seasoning veggies. I used fresh carrots (some lovely purple and yellow heirloom varieties) onion, fresh garlic, celery and sauteed them in olive oil 'til soft.


Look at those gorgeous carrots!!

Add veggies to the beans and water. Do not drain off soaking water! Add extra water to cover beans by about 1-2 inches. I also tossed in a little cinnamon, cumin and a few red pepper flakes. Bring to a hard boil and let boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer 1-3 hours depending on the bean. Only when the beans are soft, add in salt or some acid and go to town with your own seasonings. If you add in either salt or acids like tomatoes at the beginning, you will have a pot o' pellets.

I served my beans over wild rice (love it) and added a berry gorgeous market salad. Happy day to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment