Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, April 27, 2012

Keepin' the Dream Alive...

I think I have already shared with you that most of my cookware is ancient. Goodies I inherited from my mom, grandmothers and aunt. The only "pot" I can remember buying is the bean pot in Monday's post.

All of them are well worn, mostly Revere stainless steel with copper bottoms and an assortment of enamel over cast iron pieces. I love them and put them all to good use. Modern benefit for ancient wares? They are all made from very safe materials and are really energy efficient. There is one pot that has remained sidelined...just too far gone and missing a lid. I wax poetic over it because it is an honest to goodness Le Creuset in swoon...orange, the original color and my favorite. I bet it is close to my age, too. Sigh.

Anyway, I called Le Creuset yesterday on a fluke and asked if, by chance, they had a lid and had any suggestions on how to restore this pot to its former beauty and function. Bad news...no. That size was discontinued ages ago. Good news...would I like a new one in the current size? Oh my...are you kidding? I had to pay a small replacement fee but trust me, it was a pittance.



On their website, it clearly states that Le Creuset offers a lifetime guarantee. I explained that I was not the original owner and also that I had inherited it, not gotten it at a garage sale. No problem. "Lifetime" can be enjoyed by many cooks apparently and really means "eternal". Just amazing. I am pretty ecstatic and packing up the old gal as I write this. Looks like Le Creuset not only cooks like a dream but also is a company that wants to keep the dream alive.


Dreamsicles!

To celebrate, I am making this dish from their website using spring's all stars...asparagus and eggs! See some pix below the recipe for a look at some other "stars of the season"!


Grilled and glorious


Dunbar "Divas" best!

Roasted Asparagus topped with Eggs

From Le Creuset's website: "It’s fun to cook with versatile cookware because you have so many options. Here we do the unexpected: roast asparagus, and in the same pan, fry the eggs and top each serving. The pan’s size lets you roast the vegetables and turn them halfway through the cooking. Use this as a different first or appetizer course."

1 1/2 pounds asparagus spears, medium thickness (36 to 42 spears)
3 tablespoons good olive oil, preferably Spanish, divided (I love Spanish, too!)
1 1/2 teaspoons Spanish sherry vinegar
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
6 large eggs (preferably from local farmer)
Strips of jarred piquillo peppers for garnish
1/4 cup grated manchego or Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a rack in the middle of the oven.

Bend each asparagus spear and snap off the tough fibrous end. Rinse the spears and pat dry. Arrange them on the pan and drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Use your hands for this. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and toss again.

Place the oval skillet in the oven and roast the vegetables for about 5 minutes. Slide out the rack and use two wooden spoons to turn the spears over. Continue roasting another 4 or 6 minutes, depending on the thickness, until just tender.

Remove the skillet from the oven and place on the stovetop. Divide the asparagus between 6 plates (6 or 7 spears per plate) and drizzle a bit of sherry vinegar over each portion. (The asparagus may be served at room temperature.)

Set the pan on the stovetop and turn to medium-high heat. Add another tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter to the skillet. When it is heated, quickly saute the ham strips. When the ham pieces are crisp, move the skillet off the burner. Remove the ham to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.

Return the pan to the heat and fry the eggs until the whites are set and the yolks are almost set but still a bit runny. Using a thin spatula, carefully lift each egg and place each atop the asparagus. Dust each egg with salt and pepper. Top each egg with equal amounts of the ham and strips of pepper. Sprinkle the optional cheese and serve immediately. Serves 6.

Have a great weekend! I have some "cheese-y" news to share Monday!


L'il Miss Carrot Top says "Keep dreaming! Have fun! Be well!"

Ha! I love taking pictures of food almost as much as I love cooking and eating! Here are some pictures from a brief visit to get my eggs this morning...





New kids on the block!


Carrots, radishes, some wild radish pods, two kinds of bok choy, kale and a few eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment