Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, March 23, 2012

Just like Pea Soup

Where I sleep has a big picture window…perfect for catching the ever-changing water and sky scenes. Recently, the planets have been so close and the skies so full of stars that I have felt like I was back in my college astronomy class. Just heavenly!

Waking up is fun, too, because you never know what you are going to get…a beautiful dawn like on my birthday (see March 15) or this...

which usually looks like this...


Fog. Lots of it. Thick as can be. Like “pea soup” or so they say. And, it just rolls in. Mom says she has never seen so many days with fog than this past year. The other day I was on the ferry and the afternoon was glorious…bright sun, crystal blue skies and water. I got off and started walking up the hill to Mom’s and whosh! was chased the whole way by an out-of-nowhere roll of fog. By the time I got home, I was nearly frozen (temp had dropped 20 degrees) and her house was socked it. It is really fun. Coastal living is a hoot. Keeps you on your toes (and keeps them moving!)

And so, to fit the weather wonders, I found this pea soup recipe in Mom’s stash. I believe it is from Newsday. I like the use of whole peas…very spring-y. The kiddoes and babies are coming out to welcome in Mom’s 89-th year and so I have the soup pot a-simmering. Happy weekend!

Raviloi and Green Pea Soup (adapted some...I would add lots of grated Parmesan when serving!)


1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups veggie broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
9 ounces baby ravioli (ravioletti)
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons butter* see note
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a large soup pan over medium-high. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add wine, broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil and add the ravioli and peas. Cook 6 minutes (or according to package directions), until ravioli is cooked through; swirl in butter.
Serve topped with the Parmesan cheese (LOTS of it for extra flavor). Makes 4 servings


*Note: For the butter, run, don’t walk and find this wonderful butter. The carbon footprint is a little high because it is an Irish butter but so are the omega-3 fatty acids! This butter is from grass-fed cows. So exciting…do any of you know of a local source for grass-fed butter? My, it’s good…spring-y too!


No comments:

Post a Comment