Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Gold lights lead to green lights...

March has been gorgeous from the skies above all the way to the water's edge.  I like March for a lot of reasons but mostly, because technically, it is the last month of winter. I say that with more than a little wistfulness. I love winter and really am sad to see it go.

I have spent portions of the last five or six winters in New York, and except for this year, mostly on Shelter Island. I love the quiet beauty of everything during the winter. And, also love it when it gets a little rough and tumbly with winds and snow. That's the time to crack out a fire...

What I love best though, is the time of day around 4:30 to 5:00-ish p.m., right when the sun looks like this...

Because when the sun looks like that, the woods look like this...


just washed in gold, but only for a few quick moments (and the pix does not do the color justice!). Then, grayness takes over and night begins to fall. It is such a magical moment. Like a sprinkling of gold dust to light up the end of the day. Wonderful.

Given that I have to move on and spring arrived officially yesterday...

The floral carpets are laid


and the osprey are back. Spring it is.

I have turned to mixing up a little magic for an old friend...my green shake. One morning, a little by accident, I added in a few jalapeno slices to my brew and oh my...loved it! It had a nice kick and I look forward to seeing what else I can pepper up. Kind of lit up my morning and added some spring to my day.

On this Women and Wednesdays, anything you have done that adds a little light or kick to your day, whether the beginning or the end of it?


Spring Kick Green Shake*

1/2 frozen banana or 1/2 orange
big handful of fresh spinach
2 leaves of kale, removed from stalk (optional and make sure they are young leaves, not the old "toughies")
few slices of ginger
big handful of mint leaves
dash to 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
few slices of jalapeno pepper
water, coconut water or coconut milk to taste
a few ice cubes
Mix up in blender until desired consistency. Drink up and enjoy your day!

*This is a very veggie forward shake...not at all sweet. You may want to add a drizzle or two of honey or agave nectar. You can also add in yogurt or protein powder and make this a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment