Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shoe Fly Pie

Actually, I love that molasses pie. Being from Pennsylvania and all, it is a staple in my memory. But those are actually buzz words...so I remember what I am writing about today. My mind is on overflow and it will take me days to share all that has gone on!


Somewhere between being just a little unnerved and truly unnerved, I take my seat as a passenger on the airplane. You'd never know which state I am in from the looks of me. I have an outward calm. Internally, not so calm. Especially on those three seater airplanes. Airlines should tell people that their full price ticket is buying a seat on a half-airplane!!

On a "normal" flight, my palms sweat a bit. Yesterday, even my feet betrayed my internal state. Sweaty. I flew from Mexico and then out of storm-socked Houston into storm-ravaged Little Rock, rattled more than a little by the weather, a super slow customs and concourses that are longer than should be legal. Forget passenger-friendly. Geez. Did the architect of that monstrosity of an airport ever fly? Ever? With bags? With a connecting flight to catch? Utopia complete with sunny beaches and endless ice cream will have to be the end destination if I am ever to consider flying through Houston again. Ugh. Houston, we have a problem is right.

Anyway...there was some good stuff that happened. I had great plane "mates" full of wonderful, generous human spirit. The gentleman behind me was very upset. He was elderly, disabled and really afraid if something happened that he would be in trouble and create a burden for others. The gal beside me, the two guys in front of me and I assured him that we four would help him, no matter what, and he should sit back and enjoy the flight (!). Once that bond formed, we five turned to other concerns....the cute sandals on my gal -pal's feet.

Aren't those great? Cute as can be. And the price...oh my. Check them
out here  
www.kinosandalfactory.com

That shoe chatter took about 15 minutes. All nervous and afraid silence would enhance our fears, I decided it was my turn to provide some sort of entertaining 15 minute distraction. I remembered I had squirreled away two pieces of fabulous veggie pizza (yes, Mexican style) and announced, "Pizza Party over at 14 A!"  While eating was maybe not the smartest thing, eat we did. Here is what the pizza looked like fresh from the oven. De-lish...


Obviously, we all got home safely and I am so excited to see if my pictures came out so I can share them. As a thank you for being my memory jogger, here is a recipe from Allrecipes.com for honest-to-goodness Shoofly Pie. There are two kinds of Shoofly Pie, one wet and one dry. I am not sure which this is but the picture looks fab...bubbly, butter-y and cinnamon-molasses-y enough to eat! 


Happy Landing Shoofly Pie

1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, dissolve the soda in the molasses and stir until it foams. Sir in the boiling water and pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter into crumbs.


Pour 1/3 of the molasses mixture into the unbaked crust. Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumbs over the molasses mixture and continue alternating layers, finishing with the crumbs on top. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crumbs and crust are golden. Don't overbake!

No comments:

Post a Comment