Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, November 16, 2012

On a roll

Yesterday the grocery store had leftover pumpkins for 99 cents and it got me started on a roll. A pumpkin roll. I love pumpkins in general, especially the heirloom varieties. Each one has such unique features. So expressive and just beautiful! One of my favorite paintings is of a lovely pumpkin patch at sunrise and I have a collection of pumpkins, real and not-so-real, around pretty much all year. I am seriously into pumpkins!

I am packing up a small box with some goodies for my family to have on Thanksgiving. While they love my pumpkin pie most of all, these cookies are de-lish and travel much, much better! They are simple, very light and tender but not overly sweet...just a heads up. Monday I will share a savory pumpkin dish that looks just perfect for Thanksgiving!





Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Drops

2 cups organic all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted, organic butter, softened
1 cup sugar (I sometimes use brown)
1 farm fresh egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 cup pumpkin purée ( If you are using canned pumpkin and have leftovers, try adding it into that morning smoothie!)
2 cups dark chocolate chips

In bowl of mixer, blend butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix for a few seconds. Then add pumpkin purée and blend well.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and blend thoroughly. Fold in chocolate chips, cover dough in bowl with wrap or foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop dough by tablespoons and place about 2 inches apart. For my oven, here are the baking times: at 7 minutes I rotate the baking sheet and bake for 6-8 more minutes or until golden. Your oven may vary a little but you can tell they are done when edges start to turn golden brown. Let cool about 8 minutes on sheet and then put on rack and cool thoroughly.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

These are really great with a glass of homemade almond milk, tea or coffee and a couple of just-baked ginger snaps thrown in for good measure.



P.S. If I could give these in person, I would fill up and doll up this mason jar...

But for shipping, "repurposing" this plastic arugula container works great! Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment