Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, May 4, 2012

I'll have my mole with mint, please...

Time sure has a mind of its own, right? It needs to back off "fast forward"!  I can't believe how fast this week went. This weekend is both the Kentucky Derby and Cinco de Mayo or in my world, mint and mole. I will definitely be trying my hand at a mint julep and also at a new recipe for mole.

Actually, to simplify my life and the weekend, I should just put a straw and sprig of mint in tall glass of mole. Oh my goodness, I love it. When we lived in Mexico, we went several times to Puebla (Cinco de Mayo marks the Battle of Puebla) which is home to some of the most gorgeous tile and pottery, most intriguingly carved doors and wood trims and of course, world famous mole. And, the markets in Mexico...divine





Breakfast in Mexico served on fabulous talavera

I saved this Saveur magazine from last May.



I really like that magazine. The photography is stunning. In my other life, I would love to be a food stylist/photographer...so fun! Look at this squash blossom salad...



Among the recipes that caught my eye was one for a green mole. Thought it would go well with Our Green Table...ha! It looks simple enough and, hey, as long as I have the blender out for those mint juleps. At the end of the post, check out a delish option for those of you on the go.

Mole Verde (from Saveur)

8 ounces tomatillos, peeled and chopped
2 jalapenos, stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons kosher salt (I am starting off with 2-3 teaspoons, adding more if needed!)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 8" flour tortillas, toasted
3 tablespoons olive oil (Saveur said to use canola, but I am not fond of it)
4 cups low-sodium veggie broth

Heat tomatillos and jalapenos in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until darkened and thick, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender with cilantro, salt, garlic, tortillas and about 1 cup veggie broth. Puree.

Heat oil in a 6 quart saucepan over medium-high heat, add tomatillo sauce and fry, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a paste, about 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining 3 cups veggie broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes.

For those of you scurrying around town this weekend, chase down a food truck. Here is what I had for dinner last night. Ole! Have a great weekend!

Luscious avocado and bean taco from


No comments:

Post a Comment