Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Wednesday, April 11, 2012

On the green edge

It was great to see all the neighbors at our annual Easter Potluck and to catch up. It was especially fun to chat with an expectant dad and mom and to learn that they also are members of Our Green Table's Green Shakers Club...kale shake aficionados!! They are drinking them in Nashville, in Dallas...how fun!!  One of the guys went on to say how great is was to be able to start the day off with "a salad" and give his hungry body the best food first!  And, how great those shakes made him feel. Yay! Bottom's up!

This makes today's post easier to write. Last week there was an announcement in a major medical magazine that yes, cruciferous veggies really do help prevent cancer and if you already have cancer, can help recovery. Make the body more alkaline and wow...great things happen!  Check the article out here eat broccoli, help beat cancer.



That same day, I got a recipe for a shake made with an add-in of frozen broccoli florets...hold on, keep with me here. At first, I was a little put off, seemed a bit on the edge for green shakes, but because it came from a woman whose work I admire, I decided to do it, to add in some frozen broccoli to my morning shake.  What a surprise...it was lovely...a nice addition of great nutrition and with very little broccoli flavor. Frozen veggies are not my favorite, especially carrots, green beans and yes, broccoli, but they are really powerhouses. I will keep doing this! Loved it!

And so, on this Women and Wednesdays*, try adding a handful of frozen broccoli to Our Green Table's basic kale shake or use Kathy's recipe. Your day and your body will be better for it. What are you doing today to make your day and body better?


Kathy Freston's Green Smoothie

a few ice cubes
1 scoop protein powder made from soy, rice, hemp and/or pea (I use 2 scoops)
1 cup blueberries
5 frozen broccoli florets ( I added a small handful)
2 tsp. agave nectar (or honey or real maple syrup)

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Serve immediately. Make 1 smoothie.

My note: I also add in a good bit of cinnamon, turmeric and raw ginger and of course, kale! Vary the fruit by using 1/2 an orange, frozen banana or apple. I rarely add in the sweetener, although I do love buckwheat honey. The cinnamon and ginger give a natural sweetness that is enough for me. Recently, I have also been using a big splash, about 1/2 cup, of almond coconut milk...just fab!



*Note: Before you get that spring pedicure, be sure to read next week's post on nail polishes!!! I just got some helpful new information today to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment