Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, December 9, 2011

'Round the corner

The sun is back out after a storm that got my attention. Phew...rattled the cages for sure. I don't think I have ever been in wind like that!

I am settling in and finding "goods in the hood" so to speak. People have been so nice...helping me find my way or my way back...ha! God knows I have no sense of direction!!! For real. "Go north. Go south"...forgetaboutit. Hard for me to remember which way is right or left even! But, despite my directional challenges, I am getting better and finding some landmarks.

Getting a little lost has had its advantages. I have discovered nearby bodegas, fun little shops...a little different magic behind every door. Every corner also tells a story and last night I was on the four corners that officially started the game of baseball in 1846. http://www.hobokenbaseball.com/


I have found other delightful corners with coffee, fresh juices and the best kale salad on the planet. Several more delight my senses with fragrant greens, gorgeous "deli" flowers and smells and languages of every kind. Love it. 

Also love the 4:30 veil of darkness. Settles the day down. Cocooning. Because it is getting a little nippy, I have soup on my mind and found this yummy sounding one...love that it came complete with "green" serving suggestions!!! The addition of warming spices, too, like cumin, curry and black pepper is nice. With long winter nights and major chilliness right 'round the corner, this soup makes a toasty, comforting meal. Now, I just have to remember which corner winter's coming 'round... Happy Weekend!



Curried Lentil Soup (recipe from Dr. Neal Barnard)

Serve this soup with braised collards, kale, cabbage, or a green salad and whole-grain bread or chapattis.

1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
1 onion, chopped
2 organic celery stalks, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 cups water or vegetable broth
1/2 cup dry couscous
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste

Combine lentils, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, and water or broth in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, then cover loosely and cook until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes. Stir in couscous, tomatoes, curry powder, and black pepper. Continue cooking until couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment