Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, December 5, 2011

For Starters...

It doesn't feel quite like I would imagine jumping off a cliff does, but comes pretty close.

I am on an adventure that started with a leap of faith, Craigslist and a simple hope to rent a furnished apartment. I got two replies from the ad...one totally weird. "Yes, we have the perfect place! Wire funds here...we don't have a U.S. bank account! You will love our place!" I am sure that apartment has an ocean view, right?! 


Number Two said to call her and "chat"...which I did. Bingo. Home run. I moved in three days ago and so the adventure (much more on the specifics coming soon!!!) has begun. The first night it did feel a little strange walking around, showering, sleeping in someone else's space until I saw the bookcase....nothing in it but cookbooks!!! Seriously, a goldmine.

I learned from our conversations that my "landlady" had attended a dreamy cooking school...one I would drool to go to and her apartment (at least the bookcase and gas range...phew!) reflects her love of great food and healthy cooking. I read cookbooks like novels and so this will be deliciously fun! And, with no television, if I run out, there is a library near. Card me up!

For starters, here is an adventurous snack from one cookbook I have devoured. I will be sharing lots of new recipes with you...all fun, healthy and green...just the way I like 'em!

Zucchini Cheddar Toast (adapted form Eat, Drink, Live

2 zucchini, grated
1/1/2 cups freshly grated Cheddar (no dye!) or Monterey Jack cheese
1 shallot, finely diced
1 small egg
dash of Worcestershire sauce
4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
sea salt and fresh black pepper

Put the grated zucchini in a dry dish cloth and twist tightly, squeezing out excess liquid. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the cheese, shallot, egg, Worcestershire sauce, sea salt and black pepper. Stir thoroughly. Put toasted bread on a baking tray, pile on zucchini-cheese mixture and cook under preheated broiler until golden brown. Serve hot. Yummy treat for snacking.

Oh, and another special treat for today...I took a commuter ferry to "work"!  Loved it...leaving in the luscious sunlight and coming home at night with all the gorgeous lights. Just maginificent.


And coming Wednesday, a "green gift" guide, just in case your Santa needs some fresh ideas .

No comments:

Post a Comment