Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, October 14, 2011

The postman always rings...

Actually, for the next few days, I am not even going to wait until he comes to the door. It is Razor Russet season and my mom has mailed me a box full.


Oh boy...cannot wait! I discovered these apples last year and they are magnificent! They are from one of my fave farmstands...all dressed up for the season. Here, take a look...

Wickham's Farmstand

This stand fronts a 200-year old farm that drifts all the way down to the glistening waters of Peconic Bay. An absolutely gorgeous piece of property. I have been going there since I was a little girl. It was also my grandmother's favorite stand. What you cannot see in this picture is a table full of their should-be world famous doughnuts. Just perfect, still warm, old-fashioned cake doughnuts sprinkled in cinnamon sugar. Oh my. 

And so, in honor of waiting for these fabulous Razors, I am going to bake up some others this weekend...just to whet my apple-tite! My favorite baking apple is a Red Rome. These turn out like individual crust-less apple pies.

Baked Rome Apples

Allow 1 apple per person and here is where I do go "large"...bigger is better! Core and stuff cavity with a bit of unsalted butter, brown sugar and plenty of cinnamon. Top with another bit of unsalted butter. Bake at 325 until done. Apple flesh will be soft and will have exploded the skin a little. Eat warm as is. We usually have this at breakfast but it would be a great evening dessert with a little ice cream or rum custard sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment