Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I Love Halloween!!!

I had so much fun drooling my way around Economy Candy!! I saw candies I hadn't seen since I was a Trick or Treater myself...ruby red wax lips, wax fangs and moustaches, those little wax bottles full of sugar-y colored liquids, Beeman and Clove gum, Mary Janes, even candy cigarettes and of course, licorice of all kinds...ropes, swirls, Scotty dogs, twist sticks, gummies and drops. It was so much fun and it got me thinking...what's in those??? Probably don't want to know. 
Aside from those old-fashioned candy memories, another of my fondest memories of going out on Halloween was a stop off at my "headmaster's" house for apple cider, cinnamon doughnuts and caramel apples. While homemade goodies are impossible now as a public offering, perhaps you are having a private witch-y affair this year and want to try your hand at some old-fashioned Halloween treats?


Here is a yummy recipe for Caramel Apples. I am not quite ready to make mine yet or I would guide you through them. They really are super easy. You go ahead and get started. Click caramel apples and let me know how yours turn out!

In case you want to "green up" your Halloween trick or treats, here is a candy suggestion: Yummy Earth Lollipops with such fun names like "Wet Face Watermelon" and "Pomegranate Pucker". They are made by a great company, too, and can be found at Whole Foods.

Also, try DIY costumes or a costume swap. Those mass-marketed costume fabrics are scary. So is the made-in-China make-up. I know it is only for one night, but....remember, beets make great bloody lips and fangs, perfect oozing wounds, too. Just mix beet juice with your favorite non-toxic lip balm and apply.

Need more green make-up tips? I am repeating these Halloween Make-up suggestions from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website...I'll be mixing up a batch for my mug, too!


Choose a base of: unscented lotion OR pure cocoa butter OR safe, fluoride-free toothpaste, avoiding mint flavors.

Check your pantry for: turmeric (I have LOADS if you need some!), raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, beets, avocado, spirulina, cocoa, chocolate sauce (share!), squid ink or other colorful foods, juices, herbs and spices

Yellow: Add 1/4 tsp. and a large pinch of stale turmeric to base Add some berries or a little beet juice to make Orange).
Pink: Using a sieve, mash the juice from 3 fresh or thawed frozen raspberries, blackberries or beets directly into the base. Or, use a deeply colored berry juice or puree.
Mint green: With a fork, mash 1/4 of a small avocado until creamy. Mix this into your base. Emerald green: Add small amount spirulina or bright green chlorophyll to base.
Purple: Using a sieve, mash the juice from several fresh or frozen blueberries into the base. Or, use blueberry juice.
Brown: Add cocoa powder or chocolate sauce to base.
Black: Use a small amount of squid ink in base for true black.
White: Mix powdered sugar and water.

Happy Women and Wednesdays! Here's to making an ever ghoulish but safer and greener Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment