Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, June 17, 2011

Trying not to miss a beat...

At least, at the end of the day, I could have danced in the beautiful moonlight. Probably should have. Or maybe just howled. Yesterday was worrisome. One of my mom's caregivers gave her notice. Because of the logistics of my being so far away, I asked her for at least a month, better two. I got two weeks. Sigh.

Today is a new day and off I go...on to Plan B. All is good. Everything will be fine.


I was thinking about my mom right before I got the call because I had pulled out a recipe of hers to try. She is an "avid" recipe collector...has hundreds of newspaper and magazine clippings in addition to her vast cookbook collection. Our new farmers' market has fabulous eggs...a little on the small side but rich and flavorful as can be...like the ones from our dear Johnnie and Georgie. I wrote about our hen-keeping days in Mexico and Houston about 200-300 posts ago! Such fun. They were sweeties.




I also dearly love beets...any color...red, yellow, orange, striped. This recipe sounds like the perfect flavor combo...eggs-actly what I need! And, thanks to whomever created it...I can't tell where the clipping is from! Happy weekend!

Spring Beet Salad

1 bunch beets, about 8 small ones
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, cut in half
dash of Worcestershire Sauce
1 large bay leaf, slightly crumbled
fresh black pepper
dash of chili powder, optional
4 hard cooked eggs
spring greens
1 tablespoon capers, drained
fresh dill

Trim beets, rinse well and place in a single layer in a saucepan. Barely cover with water. Add the vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire, bay leaf, pepper and chili powder. Stir well and bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving liquid.

Place shelled, hard-cooked eggs in reserved warm beet liquid and let steep 20 minutes. Remove eggs and refrigerate until ready to use.

Place spring greens on four plates. Top with beets slices and then egg slices. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream (if desired), fresh dill, a few capers.  I think this would be lovely with some chilled white wine, waterview table preferred!!

No comments:

Post a Comment