Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fighting Hunger and a Big Misconception with Chili


One day, months ago, I started talking back to the television.

I was watching the news and a report came on that hunger relief agencies felt a squeeze due to the lack of meat available to give the needy. Well, by now, you know me, right? Naturally, I shouted out, "Hey, you don't need meat!" I called The Arkansas Foodbank Network and told them I had a plan with a recipe that would feed and nourish their clients deliciously...without meat. Yesterday, we started bagging up that project for delivery right before Valentine's Day. 

I want to use this Red White and Food post to thank all that have helped so far and to welcome others who would like to! First, many thanks to Kisha and now Leighanne and Samantha at The Arkansas Foodbank for embracing this project. A special thanks to the wonderfully artistic young women at Mount St. Mary who wrote out the recipe cards for me...they are so colorful, fun and from the heart. Take a look...


Next, I want to thank Melinda at the Department of Public Works for picking up the phone Friday (right before dashing to a photo shoot) and saying, "Why sure, we'd love to help...come on down!" She has done such a great job making recycling a city-wide priority...Look at these gorgeous bags she gave us to load up our goodies...


Then, I would like to thank Hilary for asking a great group of her classmates from The Clinton School of Public Service to muscle up and load up these bags with the food. They are a terrific! Yesterday, we packed up the non-perishables and assessed the quantities of perishables (onions, celery, garlic, carrots, green and red peppers) to gather up to finish this project for delivery. If any of you have access to these perishables or have any ideas for helping get them, please let me know!!



This project is a pilot... a beginning. And, we are able to have 700 servings of nutritious, plant-strong, health-strong food come from this start. Next year, I hope to bust through to 3000-4000 servings. A BIG thank you to everyone for helping. I will keep you posted on the progress to the finished Bountiful Chili Kits. xoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment