Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Walking his Talk...

I am a big fan of The Biggest Loser...a Tuesday night "reality" TV series where seriously overweight people commit to a healthier diet, lifestyle and to the workout trainings of Bob Harper and his peer, Jillian Michaels. I love watching it and cheering on the contestants.

Their stories of addictions, defeats, recoveries and victories are remarkable. It makes me recall the emotional pain of being overweight in my teens. Not overweight by the morbidly obese standards of The Biggest Loser, but by the cruel standards of the times and queen role model when I was a teen: Twiggy.

She was the original "waif", almost emaciated but highly esteemed.  I was a cheerleader during those times and to this day, I can still hear the thud of my pudgy thighs as they hit the floor. Never mind that my BF's were also overweight and there was some group security. At some point, no matter how much social acceptance "right or wrong" had, I did have to look by myself at myself in the mirror and say, "I can do better." Those experiences fueled my interest in becoming a nutritionist and make me cheer loudly for those ready to commit to change.

And so, for a lot of reasons, I admire Bob Harper and I was delighted to find this interview on YouTube. He is the 2010 Spokesperson for The Farm Sanctuary's Walk for Animals. Who knew we have so much in common...read the same books, feel the same passion for how and what we eat and for sharing the message we have to empower others. Why, we both even eat a lot of kale...give a listen...



Bob, this The Red, White and Food is for you. Each step you take and encourage us to take makes a difference...walk on!

Here is a vegan recipe from Bob's website, http://www.mytrainerbob.com/ and for more information on The Farm Sanctuary's walk and other activities, click here: http://www.walkforfarmanimals.org/ and don't forget to tune in tonight to The Biggest Loser! 


Roasted Cauliflower

2 heads of organic cauliflower (I get mine from the farmers market, you can get purple, orange, or white)

Core and cut cauliflower into uniform pieces.
Heat oven to 400 degrees.

 2 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
 5 sprigs of organic thyme (picked/pulled from stem)
 2 garlic cloves (smashed and skinned)
 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
 sea salt and cracked black pepper

You will need 1 large baking tray/sheet tray.
Arrange cut cauliflower onto sheet tray and sprinkle with olive oil,red wine vinegar, thyme, smashed garlic, and season with salt and pepper (Don’t like salt? Don’t add). Gently toss and place into hot pre-heated oven.

Roast cauliflower until golden brown and soft.
Check after 30 minutes. Everyone’s ovens are different. If it needs more cooking time, give it more time.

The cauliflower will taste nutty and the acidity from the red wine vinegar adds a beautiful tart yet sweet flavor! Serves up to 4 as a side dish.

Enjoy! PS- you can also do this with carrots, potatoes, onions, broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment