Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, September 20, 2010

The Great American Potluck

Such a wonderful tradition...the potluck. We were so lucky to go to two of those last week. While I am here on Shelter Island, I am getting my mom OUT...in the car we go. I have a portable walker for her that is pretty light (13 pounds) and I can whip that baby out anywhere so she has access to fun. That is the tough part. On my end, I can't bear to think of her sitting alone day after day. On her end, I think she mentally limits her access a lot more than it is physically necessary. She is self-conscious about her inability to walk well and her dependency on her "wheelie".  I am trying to show her what a "natural" it can be and how many places are set up and ready for her and ones that she can get to without becoming over-tired. That is why I was so taken by Camp Quinipet. Campers of every capability are welcome there and so are visitors. I was very moved by their facility, before I even saw the view! Their gorgeous ramp is to the left.


This was the site of one potluck. A trip for any meal's provisions is a snap...usually, just a stop at a roadside stand yields a bounty of deliciousness. Here is a look at my "shopping" trip and take note of the sign...many of the markets are on the "honors" system. Incredible in every way.


For one potluck, I made the Summer Tortellini Soup from a couple of weeks ago. For this potluck, I made a broccoli and grape salad...kind of playing off the trip to the vineyard yesterday. This salad is really good and a nice one for fall. I will share another salad I took tomorrow.

Harvest Broccoli Salad

6 cups fresh broccoli florets
6 green onions, sliced
1 cup diced celery
1 cup green grapes
1 cup seedless red grapes
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar. honey or agave nectar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted

In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onions, celery and grapes. In another bowl, mix mayo, sugar and vinegar. Pour over veggies and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Stir in almonds just before serving. Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment