Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Thursday, June 3, 2010

Holy horses...it's First Thursday again!

I am not even unpacked but I am back in the kitchen whipping up some fresh Natural State Granola for First Thursday tonight. Can hardly believe it is here again!

While on my trip, I went to Greenport a couple of times to ride my beloved merry-go-round, only to find that it was closed for repairs. Wouldn't you know it, the day I left, it was up and running. It is a beauty, completely restored with grant money and nestled in a sweet seaside park overlooking beautiful Peconic Bay. Anyway, I did get some good shots from the outside looking in but missed a ride or two and a chance for the brass ring.

This carousel is the inspiration for the logo and essence of Natural State Granola. Right after my dad died, my mom wanted granola from a farmstand that required not only a round-trip ferry ride but a drive of about 40 miles. I attempted this twice and came home without the goods both times. Heavy-hearted and stressed out, I decided a spin on the merry-go round was just what I needed. The other "kids" and their moms didn't quite know what to make of my hopping up on the ponies, but hop I did. Feet in the stirrups, I bobbed up and down with total glee. Fabulous fun...which should be a natural state for everyone and poof...Natural State Granola was born.

I tweaked my recipes from the golden age of granola, the 70's, and decided to make this recipe more heart happy by combining serious nutrition (which most granolas lack) with serious fun. In keeping with the merry-go round, I wanted a carousel of delicious, healthful flavors. Even the tape I use in packaging has a fitting tale...it is made from designs found on vintage feed sacks. Every time I grab a handful, I feel like I am going for a spin on that merry-go round! Better get cooking for tonight...and if you are coming to First Thursday, I will have a couple of other beautiful, handmade surprises...some delicious, some sparkle-y!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment