Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Thursday, May 13, 2010

With Sandwich in Hand, a Big Shout Out!



This is a big shout-out for the two dozen fabulous New Yorkers who helped me today! I was headed to the financial district via Queens (therein is one of the problems and it only came to light when the woman beside me on the subway asked, "So, you have family in Queens?") and while wandering the canyons of Wall Street, I asked a man where Harry's was. He said, "Lady, I will take you to the next corner and then, there will be at least a dozen more people like me who will get you right to the door of Harry's." Right he was. I met some kind and wonderfully helpful people today, as I always do in New York. Having no innate sense of direction what-so-ever, I would be lost without them. Treasures, each and every one of them, or actually, just regular, awesome New Yorkers.

Before I show you my travels today, I want to get that sandwich from yesterday into a recipe:


S'More Veggie Panini

Take a good, fresh ciabatta and slice in half to make a "bun". Slather each side with fresh, tangy goat cheese and then top with several fresh arugula leaves. Set aside.

Create zucchini and yellow squash "ribbons" by slicing the squashes into very thin, long pieces so they look like noodles. Heat some olive oil in a skillet and saute squashes with minced garlic, fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme and/or basil and red peppers. Saute until soft. Pile on to one ciabatta half, top with remaining ciabatta and place in a panini press until warm. I don't have a press and so I used a spatula to flatten out the sandwich and flipped it to cook on both sides. Slice in half and serve. This sandwich begs for s'more veggies, like mushrooms, carrot ribbons, any your palate desires. 

Serve with a fresh green leafy salad. Such salads here even come with breakfast and taste and smell absolutely like they were just plucked from the garden.

While eating your sandwich, take a look at some more sights. For me, New York is a floor to ceiling candy store, and I found one...along with a fabulous barber shop, subway art, the financial district and other treasures.


Now here is the best idea yet for a vending machine! Note the ATM right over the fruits and veggies!



No comments:

Post a Comment