Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, October 19, 2012

Rediscovery

I have rediscovered waffles. My mom loves them and talked quite a bit about them this summer...even had a stash in her freezer. Practically begged me to eat some. I didn't bite.

This week I did...with a reboot of a Fanny Farmer recipe. The Fanny Farmer Cookbook was the first cookbook I ever had and so I thought, what better place to start? The batter makes enough for breakfast with plenty leftover for savory toppings, too. Little wedges even warmed up nicely in the toaster. I tweaked the recipe to make it more to my tastes with organic ingredients. So important!

Have a peaceful weekend!



Fanny Farmer's Waffles, Take Two

Stir together and set aside:
11/2 cups flour (I used a combo of organic whole wheat and buckwheat. I do love buckwheat!)
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Put in a bowl:
2 eggs (I used eggs from farmers' market)

Beat well. Add:
1 cup milk or milk and cream combo (I used coconut milk)
3 tablespoons melted butter (I always use organic, unsalted butter)

Add the flour mixture and beat until almost smooth. The original recipe says, "The batter need not be perfectly smooth. If it is thicker than heavy cream, add more milk. Thin batter makes tender waffles." Makes 8.

To cook, follow the waffle maker's instructions. I served the first batch with the traditional butter and real maple syrup. Pretty tasty!

What was your first cookbook? Any recipes you've rediscovered?

No comments:

Post a Comment