Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, May 23, 2011

Yikes...Stripes!

I don't feel like a creature of habit but like everyone I guess, I sure am. I took a look at my summer "wardrobe" over the weekend. The same one I have been wearing summer after summer and recalled a comment both my daughter and mom have made...that I always wear the same thing.

What? No, I don't. Uh...yes, I think they are right on this. Take a look...

Guilty as charged. These are my summer tops.

Additionally curious is that every single one of my tops with the exception of a very few solid tee's has stripes, as do some of my belts, my p.j.'s, some skirts and even one of the two pairs of pants I own is striped. Hmmm...any deep thinkers out there? I know I love the sea and most of these stripe-y garments are navy and white variations. Is this a marine/naval fetish? A longing to be part of the French Navy? Anyway, it was kind of weird seeing it all at once. Even Stubug is investigating the mix.

Interesting, too, that today I wanted to share a little about grilling and how to get those "stripes" on food without endangering your health! I went to a free technique class on grilling at Williams Sonoma yesterday and it was lots of fun. I will have much more to share on firing up the 'barbe as the grilling season unfolds!

Grilling Sampler

Here is one of the recipes from class and you can't tell from the sample I had on my plate but the romaine was beautifully grilled and striped, all done indoors with a special grill pan. And, hey...it was green and white! Quite yummy!

Grilled Romaine Salad (Williams Sonoma)

Grilled Romaine Salad (adapted from Williams Sonoma)

2 heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed (I prefer the romaine hearts)
olive oil for drizzling

Cut romaine in half lengthwise and trim base of the stem. leaving enough stem to keep leaves attached. Drizzle with olive oil to coat. Heat a gill pan over medium heat and add in romaine. Grill until leaves develop a little char and have begun to wilt. Turn over and grill on the other side until nicely browned. You want the lettuce to be a little wilted but still hold its shape. Transfer to a serving plate or individual plates. Dress with Caesar Dressing and garnish with cherry tomatoes (those would be great grilled!), avocado slices and grated Asiago cheese. Serves 4.

Caesar Dressing

2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
1/4 teaspoon whole grain or Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice with a little fresh lemon zest
1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 extra virgin olive oil (or combo evoo and your other favorite)
1/2 teaspoon honey
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make dressing, add first 6 ingredients and then slowly add in oils. Shake well to emulsify, stir in honey and then season with sea salt and pepper. Makes about 3/4 cup. Store any leftover dressing in the 'fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Had this yummy salad last night. Grilling the romaine adds a whole new character to the lettuce. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete