Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, March 21, 2011

Turning over a New Leaf

Spring arrived on a moonbeam.

                                 Moon on Saturday Night

Favorite 'moon' song, "South China Moon" by my favorite band, Bishop Allen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQ5ucGCi2w                                           

Winter is over. The "Frosty" dishes are back in the cupboard, gently put away 'til next year. My mittens and ice skates are under wraps. I am moving on, somewhat reluctantly, because I dearly love winter and am grateful that I saw so much of it this year. My snow angels were beauties. But, I am sure, many of you have awaited this day eagerly and are saying, "It's about time!" So be it.


Given that a new season starts us off with some fresh thoughts, I thought I would freshen things up around here, too, and turn over a new leaf. All winter, I have been happily munching on green kale...in my shakes (seriously, you cannot taste it!), tossed into pasta dishes, soups and salads. Like being on auto-pilot, I pass by gorgeous, plump bouquets of green kale at the store and just have to get one or two beautiful bunches. Why they almost leap unassisted into my cart!


This week, for a spring fling, I found a new tender green, lacinato kale, also called Dinosaur or Tuscan kale. It is lovely... a blue-green color as deep as the sea I love so. Dreamy. Here is a fab recipe... bright as a spring garden. Such a nice, pretty, flavorful way to turn over a new leaf and welcome this first Meatless Monday of spring. Happy, healthy spring to you!


Rainbow Kale Salad (from Whole Foods)

1 bunch lacinato kale, thinly sliced (remove thick stems from leaves)
4 cups shredded red cabbage (maybe you have some leftover from Friday's recipe!)
2 navel oranges or tangerines, peeled and segmented
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced (cored and seeds removed)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, oranges, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange juice, vinegar and pepper. Pour over kale salad and toss to coat. Serve right away or save in fridge for up to two days. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment