Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, February 25, 2011

Golden Inspirations

I adore Nicole Kidman. No, not just because underneath the flat-ironed blond, she is also a fellow curly-haired redhead. I love her work. When going to a "Nicole Kidman movie", I never know who and how she is going to show up. She doesn't seem to have a "type" and has acted out some very courageous roles.


One is in Rabbit Hole and she is up for an Oscar for it. This movie is not popular at all at the box office and my friend and I were the only ones in the theater the night I saw it. Its subject matter is hardly entertainment for most. Instead, it is one of our biggest fears: the loss of a child. I had already seen the play and so I was emotionally prepared and focused instead on her incredible performance. She goes from raw, gut-wrenching heartache to completely encapsulating her grief to even some comedy and then out...out into the Rabbit Hole. A breath-taking performance.


I have seen four of the Oscar nominated movies: Rabbit Hole, Black Swan, The Social Network and The King's Speech (thanks Christian!!)...a record for me. However, I have missed Annette Bening's performance and The Fighter. I think "they" say the Oscar is a toss-up between her and Natalie Portman. I think Nicole Kidman should win. Give me a ballot! I would also vote for Colin Firth for Best Actor, The King's Speech for Best Movie. Supporting actors, unsure. I cannot imagine topping Geoffrey Rush's performance.


And, while talking about winning, I am going to try out a new pilaf recipe over the weekend. It is from The Fresh Market's magazine, "Inspirations". (For more on The Fresh Market, please scroll down to yesterday's post!) I am going to serve it with my fave kale salad pictured below and add in a little extra Golden Delicious apple for good measure! Enjoy your weekend!


Sundried Tomato Rice Pilaf (taken verbatim from Inspirations)

1 package Rice River Farms Multigrain Rice Medley, cooked according to instructions
1/4 cup TFM Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 package Baby Portabella Mushrooms
1 1/2 cups Julienne Cut California Sun Dried Tomatoes
2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated 

While rice is cooking, heat sauté pan over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and quickly sauté, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, toss to combine mushroom mixture, cooked rice, and sundried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top and serve. Serves 3-4.


No comments:

Post a Comment