Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Friday, September 24, 2010

Wellness Addiction

Wednesday night I took Mom to a workshop by Dr. Neal Barnard. It was fabulous! When I get home and have more than 30 minutes of Internet (Yes, I may be in Veggie Heaven but I am in Internet ****), I will tell you all about it and offer those of you who are ready a chance to join me in a "wellness challenge".


Anyway, one of the topics he discussed was food addictions. You may remember my confession upon becoming vegetarian that I was addicted to the fat in meat. I thought after I had cleansed my palate with all the veggies, I was home free. Things went along pretty well until I made the recipe in today's post. Oh my goodness, I have made it at least 4 times during the two weeks I have been here. With sun-ripened tomatoes, fresh from the field corn and basil as fragrant as a bouquet, it is positively scrumptious and beautiful. When you visit your farmers' markets this weekend, get some juicy, late season goodies and make this. You will be hooked!!! But, on a "good thing", and so I say, this addiction is OK!

This recipe and pictures are from The New York Times a couple of weeks ago.

Creamed Corn with Gorgonzola, Tomatoes and Pine Nuts

2 ears corn, shucked
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced (different colored heirloom are gorgeous here)
Fresh basil, chopped for garnish

Scrape kernels off cob. Set a saucepan over medium heat, add kernels and cream, and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in blue cheese and pepper; continue cooking uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. In a small pan over medium heat, toast pine nuts until fragrant and golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Watch carefully...they will burn in the blink of an eye!

Divide tomato slices among plates and top with corn. Top with toasted pine nuts; garnish with fresh basil. Serve 4 as an appetizer or side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment