Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Monday, August 16, 2010

Meatless Monday: Egg me on

I bought the peaches; I really did and actually set some aside to make Friday's cheesecake recipe. But then, as I suspected, things didn't go as planned. I made salsa instead.


I have some cooked black beans leftover and feel that after all the intensity of last week, I need some comfort food. That is the beauty of cooking veg. Whether you are just doing Meatless Mondays or meatless every day, you can keep basics like cooked beans ready on hand and presto, you can create another dish in the flash of a pan.  And so, tonight, I am cozying up to Huevos Rancheros and calling it a day. Tomorrow, I am back at it with a very "newsy" post.



Huevos Rancheros

Tortillas of choice, 1-2 per person
Fresh eggs, 1-2 per person
Cooked black beans (or use canned Eden Organic Refried Beans)
Pico de Gallo
Jalapeno Dressing (see Monday, August 9th)

Warm tortillas in oven while preparing eggs and beans. Add a small amount of olive oil to a small skillet and if desired, add a clove of fresh garlic and some sliced green onions. Cook until garlic starts to soften and turns a little golden. Add beans and mash. Continue cooking beans and stirring them around so they form a little crust and aren't too wet.

Cook eggs as desired. I start mine out as a "fried" egg and then before completely set, I pop the lid on the pan and the yolk turns that pretty pinkish tinge as in the pix. These are my mom's favorites: pink eggs she call them.

To assemble: Place tortilla on a plate and spread with refried black beans. Top with egg. Surround your creation with Pico de Gallo and drizzle Jalapeno Dressing over top. Serve with avocado wedges.

Pico De Gallo

3 large tomatoes (I like to mix colors)
1 shallot or about 1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno, seeded and deveined, if desired, and chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Mix all these chopped vegetables together and mix well. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Refrigerate any leftovers. This is a basic go-to salsa fresca. Makes about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment