Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Saturday, May 8, 2010

Playing in the Mud

I met the nicest gal yesterday in Whole Foods. She was there with her little daughter and in deep thought over the seaweed jars. Curious as always and because the Bulk Section seems to encourage chatter and sharing, I asked her what she was going to do with seaweed. Both faces lit up and mother and daughter exclaimed "Make mud!!" Ok...well, that had me even more curious, and so, of course, I asked her "What? How do you make mud?"


Recipe and a couple of jars of mysterious stuff in hand, I went home and mixed up a batch. Last night, I slathered myself with this cooling mud and loved it. All the ingredients help detoxify and soothe the skin and are loaded with some awesome nutrients. It was just like being in a spa...for under $10.00! So inspired, I am going to be adding in "Dressing Table Beauty Bites" whenever I find some great things made from whole foods. All the recipes on Our Green Table for foods to eat help detox the body, and so a section about "skin food" is a natural fit.  Beware, if you see me in the Bulk Section. I will have a pen and paper in hand!

I am going to continue playing with this mud recipe and maybe add in an essential oil like lavender, although I do love the faint salty-sea smell of it. I am thinking that as well as a masque, this would make a great paste for a seaweed wrap, too. Better get some saran wrap and a blanket ready.

Here is the recipe for Latricia's Beautiful Mud

Boil 1 cup distilled water and 2-3 Tablespoons sea salt until the water has boiled down to about 1/2 cup. Add 1-2 cups dry clay, 1/2 cup aloe vera gel , 3 Tablespoons organic kelp or dulse. Kelp has a milder fragrance. Mix until it is a well-blended paste. Apply to face or body and let dry about 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Store remaining mud in an air-tight container. Makes about 2 cups. 

I am also hitting Mother Nature's mud today with a couple of new plants. A friend gave me a sprig of delightful pineapple sage and I bought some arugula, flat leaf parsley, small leafed basil and a lone, beautiful orange marigold. Into the dirt they go and maybe, afterwards, I will go play in the other beautiful mud again.

No comments:

Post a Comment