Glowing, radiant health is the new black. Our Green Table is serving it up, for the whole body! Healthy recipes and tips, the latest on eco-friendly food and "skin food"products and a head's up on ingredient safety are all woven into family-centered stories and discoveries. Bring informed, aware and empowered looks good on everyone!



Abrazos! xox Penny








Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Red, White and Food: Esau's Sweet Corn

I do meet the sweetest people. Today, at the grocery store, I was there gazing at a new load of corn. I had already gobbled up the corn I got this weekend from the Farmers Market. Local corn frustrates me a little because I am spoiled.  Everyone has a favorite taste for corn. In my opinion, it is hard to beat the sweet corn from the farms on Eastern Long Island. Under veggies, you will find a post about Harbes...the North Fork L.I. King of Corn...famous for their smokey-sweet, butter-drenched roasted corn and fresh lemonade. There is a DIY roasted corn recipe in that post, too. Check them out at:  
http://www.harbesfamilyfarm.com/



But, I am on an adventure and corn is in all the farm markets and grocery stores now and so I am trying out a lot of corn! I asked the grocer if he had "butter and sugar" corn available which he did not and so I moved on to another section of the produce department. Before I knew it, I heard a woman calling me and heading lickety split over to talk. She is a state senator and wanted me to know about Esau's Sweet Corn. Corn that she said is pretty as a picture,  has "immaculate rows", baby fine silk and is the sweetest corn you will ever eat. She and her pals go to Esau's farm stand every summer, load up the car and eat corn until they are stuffed and deliriously happy. I found a picture of Esau's corn on the internet and it is beautiful. Look at those rows:



They do not have a website and I had to do some hunting to find them. They are in Dumas, Arkansas and available at this phone number: 1-870-382-5738. I spoke to the farm and it is located 4 miles north of Dumas off Highway 65. The Dumas Chamber of Commerce was where I began to track them down, http://www.dumasar.net/

You can order in advance and they will have your order bagged and ready to go, but according to the state senator, go to their farm stand and linger.They also have lovely pastries available as well as other sweet treats. Here's is a big The Red, White and Food thank you to Senator Ruth Whitaker and Esau's Sweet Corn.

Knowing that both Esau's and Harbes may be out of your area, go on an adventure this weekend and see what corn you can find. Just may be your new favorite! Here is a recipe for perfect corn on the cob, sweet and simple. Just add your own butter and a napkin or two.  

Sweet Corn on the Cob

Drop cleaned ears of fresh, sweet corn into a pot of rapidly boiling, unsalted water. Let boil 2 minutes, remove with tongs and drain off excess water by rolling quickly in a dishtowel. Serve immediately with sweet butter, sea salt and fresh black pepper. Allowing 2 ears per person is a good idea!

If the flavor is not on the mark, then go ahead and slather with a tasty spread. I love pesto with corn and here is the recipe I use.

Simple Pesto

2 garlic cloves, peeled
dash of sea salt
3 Tablespoons pine nuts
3 cups loosely packed basil leaves, destemmed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano
2-3 Tablespoons Romano cheese
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Whiz garlic, sea salt and pine nuts in blender until finely minced. Add in basil and olive oil. When smooth, add in cheese and softened butter and blend to consistency you like. For this last step, I press "pulse" instead of "blend" just to get it thoroughly mixed but not overly processed.

No comments:

Post a Comment